Sunday, April 24, 2016

Ancient Wind - Ancient Blessings


A favorite slide from the Seder
 Friday night an ancient event happened in my home. I taught my grandchildren to keep the Passover. Sometimes in my life there are experiences where I feel like a great creaky door has opened to ancient pasts, and the cold breeze of history blows through it and into the present.

This week leading up to the Passover was stressful for me. My chronic illness was flaring up. I felt tired, and in pain, and completely overwhelmed. I knew that I had to get leaven out of my house, prepare a Seder, and prepare dinner, and I couldn't seem to make the time to do any of that. I got some things done, some small things, and a whole bunch of lists made, but I couldn't seem to get anything substantial done. By Thursday evening, I was so discouraged I gave up and went to bed early.

The Bible tells us not to be discouraged. As often happens, I failed to see Yahweh's perfect timing.

My grandchildren, Pandora and Ziggy, arrived at 6:30 on Friday morning. I began the process of cleaning my house and getting the leavening out, at first still feeling the stress and pressure. Then I began to see Yahweh's perfect timing and I began to feel that ancient wind. My stress turned into joy.

My grandchildren began helping. As they helped, I told them what we were doing and why. I talked to them about puffed up pride and simple humble matzoh. I thought about the many generations of people who were doing the same thing that day, and the many generations that had come before.

I was surprised how truly helpful the littles were. By midday, the leavening was out, the house was mostly clean, and the kitchen was cleaner than usual. Then I took my grandchildren to the market. Together, we got the last few items needed to complete our Seder, and I bought them a pretty pinwheel, and some matzoh, and some kosher wine, and some bitter herbs, and I rejoiced to share that moment with my wonderful grandchildren.

My daughter helped me prepare the lamb. The hands of three generations prepared the Passover meal, and as it went into the oven, perfectly on time, those ancient winds blew stronger. Soon my other two daughters arrived, and we finished the preparations together.  My daughter's boyfriend, the newest family member, arrived just as dark began to descend; perfect timing.  My house was full of the people I love as the angel of the Lord passed over us, figuratively speaking.



It was a challenge to customize a Seder to the attention span and interest of toddlers and preschoolers, but I think I managed to be blessed. And as I served the lamb and potatoes and we crunched the matzoh and drank the sweet delicious wine, that ancient wind blew through my soul, clearing out the stress and helping me see that I was in Yah's timing all along.



I may never have all of my children and grandchildren for Passover again, as the littles will start school soon, and they will be undoubtedly busy during this time. I am grateful for this one perfect gift.

I feel the ancient winds of time rise up and blow when I speak the Shema:
4“Hear, O Yisra’ĕl: יהוה our Elohim, יהוה is one!
5“And you shall love יהוה your Elohim with all your heart, and with all your being, and with all your might.
6“And these Words which I am commanding you today shall be in your heart,
7and you shall impress them upon your children, and shall speak of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise up,
8and shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.
9“And you shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.   
 
My favorite slide from the Seder slide show
Deuteronomy 6

Thank you for helping me obey, Father, Yahweh elohim, melech ha olam, King of the Universe.  I am grateful that you see me.  May you bring us shalom.

If you would like to see my Lego Seder Story, go here:  The Story.
Credit for and all rights to the images goes to: http://www.bricktestament.com/exodus/   

No comments:

Post a Comment